Week 17: Everybody's Out And It's OK

Richard Sherman -(Calf) Out. Brandon Aiyuk-(Ankle) Out. K'Wan Williams- (Shin) Out. Robbie Gould (EVEN ROBBIE GOULD!) (reserve/COVID-19 List) Out. 

Week 17 is coming for the 49ers, and the above list is just a few of the prominent players out for the final game of the season. I wish Richard Sherman could play every minute of every game. His intensity inspires me. It's ok though. I'm used to the injuries by now. Besides, when I read these names, I don't think about their injuries. I don't see them on sideline in street clothes (or this year up in a box with a mask on) I see them on the field. Vital. Healthy. Making big plays. I even see them signing new contracts, though not on the field. That wouldn't be practical. Someone cold get hurt and this team has already had enough injuries. 

When I read "Richard Sherman (Calf) Out," I think about the good times. I think about his presence as a veteran leader. I think about his interception of Aaron Rodgers in the NFC Championship game earlier in the year to send the 49ers to the Super Bowl. Yes, that happened in 2020. January 19, 2020. Do yourself a favor and watch the highlights on YouTube. If you've watched enough football without fans this season, all those happy folks in the stands wearing red will make you cheer with joy. 

When I see "Brandon Aiyuk-(Ankle) Out" I think about that leap he made over Eagles defender Marcus Epps in Week 4. I remember when he was named Pepsi Zero Sugar Rookie of the Week in Week 3. Zero Sugar! I think about how good he is and he's only a rookie. 

When I see "K'Wan Williams (Shin) Out," I reach back in time all the way to November 2019 when he picked off Baker Mayfield near the goal line on Monday Night Football and returned it 51 yards. It was the height of the Gold Rush and the riches were all over the field. 

When I see "Robbie Gould (reserve/COVID-19 list) Out," I think about that kick to beat New Orleans in Week 14 of 2019. I think about the fact that the 49ers just signed him to a new two-year contract. It's good to know he'll be here for the near future at least. 

The near future. Everybody's thinking about it; personally, professionally, and specifically whether Richard Sherman will be playing for a different team next season. Oh, I'm the only one worried about Sherman? Well, you should be. 

The 49ers won't be in the playoffs this season. I'll be watching Sunday's game against the Seahawks though, because I know this team will compete. They could have punched out when they were sent to live in a hotel in Glendale to finish out the season, away from their families and in a state in an even worse COVID-19 situation than California, but they didn't. They've battled through a staggering number of injuries this season, with George Kittle, Jimmy Garrappolo, Sherman and Nick Bosa among many others missing large chunks of time. More names. More memories. Whether they're active for this Sunday or not, I'll be watching. I'll be hoping they bump off a division rival in Seattle and looking forward to next season. And I'll always have my memories. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NFL Game Of The Week: Cincinnati Bengals Vs. Los Angeles Rams Super Bowl LVI

Help, I Might Be Rooting For The Washington Football Team

The Wonder Of NFL Films - Just What You Need When Your Team Is Having A Tough Year